- What is your favorite skittle flavor?
- Are you a cat or dog person?
- You can have an unlimited supply of one thing for the rest of your life, what is it?
OPEN IN PRAYER
Life is a race that we have to pace ourselves for longevity. In life there are 2 things that we have to keep on eliminating to be effective: weight and sin. Every weight is not a sin, but every sin is a weight. Weight is the thing that is beyond your ability to manage. Although it is up us to manage our responsibilities, if it is too much to bear then we need to shift our weight. Some of us have that sin that becomes a circle and we can’t seem to stop and we hide it from everyone. That sin wasn’t meant for you to carry it’s meant for you to shift it for God to take care of it for you. We don’t get rid of that sin by running away from it, but when we run to God with it.
LET’S TALK ABOUT IT!
- Read Hebrews 12:1-2. We are to live like there is a plan. What do you want your life to look like in 1 year? 5 years?
- Galatians 6:5 says, “For each one shall bear his own load.” It is up to every person to manage the responsibilities God has given you. What responsibilities has God given you? (i.e. ministry, others or yourself- health, family, etc.)
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” When the burden is too difficult to bear then it is not from God. What do you do when you are overwhelmed? Who do you reach out to when you can’t handle something?
- Read Matthew 17:14-16. The son kept on falling in the fire and water over and over again. When you keep falling into a sin, the seed of that sin becomes a cycle. Your sin wasn’t meant for you to carry but to shift over to Jesus. Tell the group to close their eyes and think about a sin they are holding onto. And say, “Repeat after me: Lord, I shift my burden onto you. I can’t handle it anymore so I put it in your hands. Forgive me for trying to handle it myself, but now it is yours today and forever. In Jesus name, Amen!”
PRAYER FOCUS & REQUESTS
Ask your group if they have any specific prayer requests. This week, pray for those people that are trying to handle the burden of their sin alone. Ask the Lord to bring those people a freedom to let it all go and shift their weight onto God.