- What are your favorite Christmas cookies?
- Have you gone ice skating recently?
- What is one of your family traditions during the holidays?
OPEN IN PRAYER
God came to earth to live among us, to live with us, commune with us and so we are never truly alone. We don’t have to stress, worry or fear because God is with us. It does not matter what anyone says about our life or our situations because God is with us on our worse or best days. He is with us in sickness and health. God is with us when we are at our highest moments and when we are deep in sadness. For God so loved the world, He gave us His very best gift, which is Jesus. God is drawn to us, in any way that we find ourselves, broken, hurt, shamed. Jesus was born so that He could die and give us an abundant life and restore us to God. You are the greatest gift Jesus that we can receive and that we can share with others. Share the good news that others do not have to do life alone.
LET’S TALK ABOUT IT!
- Read Matthew 1:18-23/Isaiah 7:14 Names are significant in the bible, and they were used to communicate God’s message and establish an affiliation with Him. The angel declared “He will be called Immanuel”, translated into “God with us.” In order for God to come to earth He had to remain God but needed a body so that He can have dominion on earth. Jesus could not be conceived like a natural baby because He needed to carry God’s blood. God brought the Spirit of heaven into the earth. The implication of “Immanuel” is that God would dwell with us. Everything changed when Jesus showed up! Share your salvation story, how did Jesus showing up change your life?
- Read John 1:14 MSG “The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood. We saw the glory with our own eyes, the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son, Generous inside and out, true from start to finish.” How is life different when you walk with God instead of being on your own?
3 Christmas Gifts- 3 Meanings of Immanuel
The God Who understands:
He understands our pain. He left heaven and walked this earth and went through everything on earth so He could understand our pain. He was tempted in every way possible and feels our infirmities.
The God Who helps:
You are not going through things alone. God provides a way out when we are going through trials and tribulations. He promised He would be a comforter and a true friend, and He kept every promise. He has given us the Word of God, prayer, sowing, and reaping.
The God Who is with us:
When you know that God is with you it changes everything. We have so many promises from God, but we tend to feel sorry for ourselves when we struggle. We have to remember that the God who created the universe and everything in it, is truly FOR us! God should not only affect us but everything around us. God wants to walk and talk with you. We tend to call on Him when we are in trouble, but God wants a real relationship with us. God wants to do life with us, that is why He came to earth. When you realize God is with you, you realize you are NEVER alone.
PRAYER FOCUS & REQUESTS
Ask your members if they have any prayer requests or praise reports. Focus on the beauty of “Emmanuel” and how He has changed your life.